Monday, April 4, 2011

Nancy Drew Mobile Mysteries: Secret of Shadow Ranch

So I got the Nancy Drew game for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. I have an iPod touch, so I played it on that. I finished it last night. and it was pretty good! It was more of a book than a game, but still, it was fun. It was based off of the PC game Secret of Shadow Ranch, but it wasn't anything like the PC game. There were a lot of different plotlines in the different chapters, so basically, there were a lot of different mysteries to solve. And there were a lot of different culprits. The culprits were not anyone form the PC game, because they added a lot of different characters, but Dave, Tex, Shorty, and Mary were still in the game. One thing that was the same: the phantom horse still appeared at night. But nothing bad would happen, it would just scare the guests away from the ranch.

So that's the plotline, now for the actual gameplay. It was bassically just a book with a few minigames here and there. So you would read, and you might come across some words in different colors. The orange ones will give you a fun fact or a definition about the word that is colored. The green ones will give you a sound of the word that is colored. The red ones will give you a collectable, which will let you play a minigame in order to unlock a special thing(which I don't know what it is, because I didn't unlock any). The minigame is to make four words using letters from the collectable you found, because it will have a name like "saguaro" or somehting like that. There also are some pictures, and when you touch them it will show the picture move a little, and it will make a sound.

Every now and then, when something interesting happens in the book, it will give you a choice of what to do. What happens in the next section that you read will depend on what you chose. Sometimes, if you choose the wrong option(like you decide to jump off a cliff) then you will "die"(sometimes without the quotaions) and you can try again, and start over reading the section you (")died(") in.

Some of the options you choose will lead to mingames in the actual gameplay. There are two: horse racing and hidden object finding. For horse racing, you choose a horse(Bob, Ace, Clyde are there, and they added one: Ginger) and then you have to unscramble words in order to get a speed boost. For hidden objects, you just find ten of whatever you need to find in a picture. These can be tricky. The result of winning the minigames is uauaslly that you get a collectable.

Overall, this was a really fun game. It was only 2 bucks, and you can get it from the app store, so I encourage you guys to play it if you have an iPod touch, iPad, and/or iPhone.

1 comment:

  1. I got it the day it came out, but I haven't finished it yet. I am on chapter 4. I know I am not very far at all, but it isn't as interesting to me as I thought it was going to be. I mean, I like to read and all, but it seamed like to much reading. And another thing I didn't like about it, was that if I was halfway threw a chapter, and turned it off, I would have to start at the beginning of that chapter again. But, so far, it is okay. I do plan to finish it, but it isn't a "goal" for me. lol But I loved your review! ~Sam

    ReplyDelete